Today is Friday October 11th and I’ve been furloughed due to the government shutdown for 9 days and counting. I shouldn’t complain because I’m getting a lot of tasks done and I’m also having some fun and also because there is a decent chance that Congress will give all the furloughed workers back-pay when this is all over.
But living without paychecks can be a bit of a burden for some. Okay, for most. Well, I’ve noticed that there are a number of businesses out there that are offering deals specifically to furloughed government employees. Here is a list. I will add to this list as I find out about more. Please leave a comment or email me for additions or corrections.
- Boston Market restaurants (460 locations nationwide) are offering a free whole chicken with the purchase of a family meal. Offer extends from October 6th through October 13th.
- SparkFun Electronics (online/everywhere) is offering a free starter kit to furloughed government workers to give us something to do with our spare time. Offer extends through October 25th or until the furlough ends.
- AMC Theaters (nationwide, but none on the space coast) are offering a free small popcorn or a discount on a larger size. Offer extends through the end of the shutdown.
- KSC Federal Credit Union (13 Central Florida locations) is offering an interest free loan of two weeks worth of your salary.
- TD Bank (nationwide) is offering a free $1,000 overdraft and late fee forgiveness. Offer extends through November 2nd or end of shutdown. (link disappeared from Internet, sorry)
Thanks to everyone for reaching out and helping,